Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Whole Ball of Wax

Art is an inevitable and unavoidable aspect of daily life. In his article, "The Whole Ball of Wax," Jerry Saltz says that "Art is not optional; it is necessary. It is part of the whole ball of wax." Famous works of art like the Mona Lisa, Starry Night, American Gothic, the statue of David, and The Persistence of Memory, are all images that people have seen numerous times whether or not they register in their brains. In various classes I have analyzed and studied these pieces of art countless times and each time I discover something new or see the image through a different lens.

Oscar Wilde's quote, "The moment you think you understand a work of art it's dead for you," really resonated with me. I agree with him completely as looking at art is a process in itself. Art forces a person to explore new ways of thinking and viewing the way the world works. I also believe that is is nearly impossible to completely understand a work of art because I always find new things to analyze and different world issues to relate the artwork to.

Art can't change the world by itself. Art has the potential to influence human outlook. So by proxy, art can change the world. Art has the ability to alter and affect a person's mood and attitude. In Saltz's article he points out what painter Gaylen Gerber said in the days after September 11. Gerber claimed that going to the Art Institute of Chicago and "looking at shiny furniture form the '60s and '70s that in some way, maybe because of its superficial, and ultra-clean look, made me feel a little better." Although this may sound a little bizarre to some, his outlook definitely made sense to me. After a major tragedy in my life, a good friend of mine sent me a picture every single day. At first it simply annoyed me, but after a while, it centered me and gave me a semblance of hope during a dark time in my life. So yes, I believe that art can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment