Thursday, September 21, 2017

Baltimore Museum of Art


1. My favorite artist at the Baltimore Museum of Art was definitely Henri Matisse. I found all of his paintings visually pleasing and interesting to look at. I really enjoyed his painting "Young Woman at the Window, Sunset." This painting style is expressionism and was painted by Matisse in 1921. After further research, I discovered that Matisse painted many images of women near windows. I find this fact very intriguing and I wonder why he was drawn to that style. This painting reminds me of a scene out of a movie. The woman is looking longingly out the window at the beach. The sunset adds extra beauty to the painting. The focal point of this painting is the woman and the composition is leading lines. The path of the window frame leads to the woman and my eye is automatically drawn to her. It seems as though the lines and patterns on her clothing add to this visual effect. I admire the color choice that Matisse went with and this painting leaves me with a happy, content feeling.
Young Woman at the Window, Sunset by Henri Matisse

2. I found this painting to be fascinating because it was labeled an odalisque. This term was used to refer to women, "often scantily dressed in North African or Middle Eastern costume, who recline in ornately decorated prints." This statement is kind of ironic seeing that the woman in this Matisse painting is fully clothed with only a small amount of skin revealed. This painting is visually pleasing because of the leading lines. The woman is the focal point but is accentuated by the lines that draw my eye to her. The lines in the floor, wallpaper, and chair all lead to the woman. The business of the background really contrasts with the simpleness of the woman on the chair. This painting makes me feel very relaxed and calm. I think the position of the woman reclining, makes the person viewing this painting feel comfortable as well.
Seated Odalisque, Left Leg Bent by Henri Matisse

3. I also enjoyed this painting by Alfred Sisley. This painting was made in 1882 and is oil on canvas. This painting radiated a sense of tranquility and peace. Although there are small figures in this painting, nature is the dominant force here. The brush strokes are very soft yet prominent and you could really see where the artist put his brush down and picked it up again. I see the rule of thirds in this painting. The sky, trees, and foreground are equally separated. This adds visual symmetry and balance to the painting. I admire Sisley's color choice. I like the pastel blues and greens he used. This painting looks very natural and peaceful.
Poplars on a River Bank by Alfred Sisley

No comments:

Post a Comment